This is the 3rd time I’ve posted this recipe, but let’s face it…I’ve made them way more than that!
These cookies are amazing! Flaky like shortbread, hold their shape when cut with cookie cutters, and amazing whether you like them thin and crispy, or thick and soft. Hands down, the best recipe I’ve found. So good in fact, that my own mother has abandoned her life-long sugar cookie recipe in favor of this one.
Amazing Sugar Cookies
yield: about 75 medium cookies
- 24 ounces butter (softened)
- 20 ounces powdered sugar (sifted)
- 3 whole eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 ounce vanilla extract
- 1/4 ounce almond extract
- 6 1/2 cups flour
- With paddle attachment, mix butter for 30 seconds. Add a 1/3 of the powdered sugar, mix on first speed for 1 minute. Add another 1/3 of the powdered sugar, mix another minute. Finally, add the last 1/3 of sugar, mix 1 minute.
- Combine eggs, vanilla, and almond extract together, add to butter/sugar mixture. Mix for 30 seconds.
- Add a 1/3 of the flour, mix 1 minute.
- Add the next 1/3 of the flour, mix 2 minutes.
- Add the final 1/3 of the flour, mix 3 minutes.
- Refrigerate until able to be rolled out and cut into desired shapes. (if you’re using the dairy free version i told above, I’d refrigerate it 24 hrs before rolling out to make sure it really sets up.) Bake at 350 for 9-15 minutes depending on the size you cut them!)
Get crafty too with the packaging! My kids and I have been making paper snowflakes, so I decided to stick a large one on the front of a brown paper bag and just added some jute string, a couple pretty wired ribbons, and a clipping of christmas tree. Easy peezy lemon squeezy, and my kids thought it was fun too!
Another quick idea is to toss a couple into a brown paper bag and include a printout of the recipe card on the outside! I’m really into brown paper packages tied up with string this year!