We’re smack in the midst of our luscious peach season here in South Carolina. It’s bliss. What’s not to love about peaches?!
On Tuesday this week, I took my children to a local dairy farm for a tour. It was hot as crap outside….and since it was a dairy farm, it smelled like crap too…literally. It was so hot that it was one of those days that the whole day feels like someone is standing in your face breathing hot breath on you. I hate that….hot breath in your face. Makes me feel like I might suffocate.
Anywhooo…the dairy farm had a little store that sold other local yummies, and I cannot walk past a basket of fresh peaches when there are none on my counter ripening at home. So I bought the biggest basket they had and feel happy just looking at my counter covered in juicy sweetness ripening! Mmmmmm!
Today my super fun friend Laura was coming over to hang out with her kiddos, and I thought I should put some of those peaches to good use. One of my all-time favorite cookbooks practically flew off the shelf into my hand as soon as I was thinking “peachy goodness.” Fosters Market never disappoints…and neither did these fabulous muffins!
Feast your eyes on this…and then make them and stuff your face! I’m calling it like it is though…these aren’t for breakfast so much as for dessert! I love whomever the person was that invented a tiny cake and decided to call it a muffin. MUAH to you! Dessert for breakfast by another name!
Sweet Peach Muffins w/ Brown Sugar- Walnut Streusel
Yield: 12 large muffins
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 30 min
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups peeled, pitted, chopped fresh peaches
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a (12-cup) muffin pans with paper liners and spray the top part of the pan lightly with nonstick spray. Or simply spray the whole muffin pan with nonstick spray.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk eggs, butter, sour cream and vanilla in a separate bowl until well-blended. Fold in the peaches.
4. Add wet mixture to flour mixture and stir just until blended (don’t over mix).
5. Scoop batter into the prepared muffin cups with a large ice cream scoop. The batter should come to the top of the paper liner. Mix streusel ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle muffin cups with the streusel topping and lightly press it into the muffin batter.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when pressed lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before attempting to remove them from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.